It has been quite a while since I have posted something. No, I have not forgotten to cook or experiment. I have not forgotten to take pictures of my cooking either, just that most of those pictures are taken by phone and uploaded on facebook. Ha ha I have become so typical. But then there has been quite big , BIG changes. I, moa, who used to freak out at the idea of baking have become quite addicted to it. AND my latest obsession has been with cookies. So, today I am making my comeback with a cookie that melts in mouth, soft and crumbly at the same time and is just deliciously lemony. Here are my little lemony cookies smothered in icing sugar to give them the look of covered in snow.
Servings: Yields about 36 cookies
Plain flour - 1.5 cup
Egg - 1
Butter - 125gms
Caster Sugar - 2/3 cup
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp freshly squeezed
Zest of 1 large lemon
Icing sugar - about 1/2 cup, for dusting
1. In a mixing bowl, mix in the sugar with the butter with a electric mixer.
2. Softly mix in the egg followed by lemon juice and the lemon zest.
3. Now slowly add the flour. It will form a soft sticky dough. Wrap it up in some cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. (You can even chill it overnight and just get it out when you want to bake it.)
4. When the time is up, preheat the oven to 200C. Take the dough out of the fridge and softly knead it for a min. This is just to get the dough pliable. Take little portions( you can use a scoop or a spoon to make even sizes, I just eyeball it.) and roll it out into little balls. The recipe yields about 36 cookies. You can of course make them larger and that will yield fewer cookies.
5. Once you have rolled out little balls out of all the dough, dunk them in the icing sugar to cover them fully. Do not dust off any extra sugar. Place them on baking tray lined with a baking paper and bake for about 12 min. The cookies will flatten and crack up a little but that will give them that covered in snow look, a bit like crinkle cookies( that recipe is for another day :P ).
6. If you make larger cookies you might need to bake for couple more min, but make sure you watch them carefully not to over cook them. They will be soft and will look a little under done while they are warm. But trust me all will be okay when they are cooled down.
7. Now go make yourself a cup of coffee or tea or even a glass of milk and devour the cookies. Yum yum yum.